BUS RULES FOR STUDENTS OF PRAIRIE HEIGHTS COMMUNITY SCHOOLS
According to the laws of the State of Indiana, the bus driver has the SAME right as a parent to make responsible decisions in matters involving discipline. We have made these rules available to students where they can be observed daily while on the bus.
“DON’T LOSE YOUR RIDING PRIVILEGE”
FOLLOW THESE RULES - The student should:
- Observe the same conduct and handbook rules as in the classroom.
- Be courteous; respect others and their property – NO Bullying.
- Help look after the safety and comfort of the smaller children.
- Not use unacceptable language – NO Cursing.
- Not eat, drink or chew gum while on the bus; it is a choking hazard. Assist in keeping the bus safe and sanitary at all times.
- Not be destructive of school property, i.e., writing on or poking holes in seats. Students will be required to pay for damaged seats or equipment before being allowed back on the bus.
- Not ask the driver to stop at places other than the regular bus stop; the driver is not permitted to do this except by proper authorization from a school official.
- Stay in his/her seat, facing the front of the bus; do not leave your seat when the bus is in motion.
- Cooperate and be respectful to the driver and others.
- Keep head, hands and feet inside the bus. Do not throw anything out the bus windows.
- Be on time at the school bus stop; help keep the bus on schedule.
- Stay off the road at all times while waiting for the bus. After departing from the bus stay away from the bus.
- Understand that the bus driver is authorized to assign seats at anytime.
- Wait to enter or leave the bus until it has come to a complete stop and the driver has opened the door.
- Remain in the bus in the event of a road emergency until instructions are given by the driver. Do not use a cell phone until directed to do so by an adult hired by the school corporation.
- Remember that loud talking and laughing or unnecessary confusion diverts the driver’s attention and could result in a serious accident.
- Carry no animals on the bus. Large projects that cannot be held on the student’s lap without blocking a window should be transported to school by parents.
In cases of misconduct, the driver may suspend the student’s riding privilege for 1 day without clearing it through the office.
Upon recommendation of the driver, following Due Process, the student may be disallowed to ride the bus for the remainder of the school year.
Notification will be given to parents when violations of these rules occur. All written citations must be signed by the parent and returned to the bus driver the following day in order for the student to be able to ride the bus.